Frequently Asked Questions

Your event, our risk(tm)

0800 840 2469

Event Insurance Explained

Questions About Hiscox Event Assured Online

What is Hiscox Event Assured Online?

Hiscox Event Assured On-Line is an on-line version of Hiscox Event Assured offline wording - a portfolio of high quality insurance for events covering Cancellation/Disruption, All Risks on Property at the event, and Legal Liabilities. It is a flexible product suited to covering a wide range of event types from corporate events to conferences and exhibitions to community events. The web form has a drop down list of available event types. We are adding to this list so if your event type is not there yet, it may be by the next time you visit the site.

If you select liability cover only then you will be issued with an on-line version of Hiscox Event Assured Liability.

Can Event Assured give me advice?

No. Event Assured products are offered on a "non advised sale" basis - this means we will give you full information about the products and cover available, but you need to make your own decision about whether this is suited to your needs. The benefit of this approach is that if you know what you want, we can deliver the insurance rapidly and at much lower cost.

What if the web site won't give me a quotation, but refers me to your office?

If you complete the application form on line and you are referred to our office, this will be because your application has a non-standard feature - for example if you cannot sign the declaration but provide additional information.

Once alerted to this, one of our underwriting staff will make contact with you to explain further.

Please note that the terms, conditions and premiums for insurance provided via the office may differ from those available on this web site.

Can we cover event cancellation due to terrorism?

Yes, but only if we provide the insurance offline - please conact us if this is of interest.

Can we insure against the fear of terrorism?

No, simply because it is impossible to define and fear means different things to different people, so it is an intangible.

Can I insure against bad weather?


If your event is indoors, and not in a temporary structure, then cancellation or disruption due to bad weather is part of our standard cover. For example, if flooding prevents you from getting your equipment and people to the event, or if transport is grounded by bad weather, and this causes the event to be cancelled or abandoned, then that is insured.

Please note that all adverse weather is excluded if you purchase the insurance within 14 days of the start of your event, in view of the availability of long range weather forecasts. Within 14 days, weather becomes a "known circumstance" and therefore uninsurable.

If the event is outdoors, or in a temporary structure then cover for adverse weather is only provided if we agree specially to provide that cover for the event. This is one of the extensions you can request on the "Special Extensions" tab. If you do this, you will still receive a quotation but this cover will not be included; we will contact you shortly afterwards to discuss an alternative quote that will include the extension.  

Questions About Liability Insurance

What is the difference between employer's liability insurance and public liability insurance?

Employer's liability insurance covers legal liability for injury or disease sustained by an employee in the course of their duties. In the UK most businesses are obliged to have this cover by law-even if you only employ temporary staff.

Whilst few other countries have laws requiring compulsory employer's liability insurance it is still worth considering in order to protect against civil action by employees for injury or disease suffered in the course of employment.

Please note that some countries have laws requiring local Workmen's Compensation Act type cover, and you should check this if you are employing people in different countries.

Public liability insurance covers you against legal liability for accidental injury to other persons (other than employees) or damage to the property of other persons.

What is "Limit of Indemnity?"

It is the maximum sum that the underwriters will pay in respect of any one occurrence.

If the venue and all other suppliers to my event have liability insurance, do I need it myself?


Questions About All Risks Insurance

My hire agreement says that if the equipment gets damaged whilst I'm using it, I am liable for the loss of hire charges whilst it's fixed. Can I insure this?

Yes. Event Assured automatically include cover for loss of hire charges up to 25% of the value of the hired item insured.

What about antiques, pictures, collectables or other items of special value?

These need special consideration. Hiscox Event Assured On-Line is not designed to cover this type of property, so please contact us at so our underwriters can evaluate your case individually.